The BC Sports Hall of Fame and Museum (BCSHFM) is committed to respecting the personal privacy of our website visitors. The following statement summarizes the privacy practices of the BCSHFM’s website, informing visitors of why and how the organization collects personal information online and how the information is used.
This policy applies to the BCSHFM’s website only. We are not responsible in any way for the privacy practices of other websites, which may be linked to the BCSHFM’s website.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify a specific individual, and includes such information as a name, a home address, home telephone number and e-mail address.
The BCSHFM may collect information in a non-identifying and aggregate form to enhance our website design and to share with external groups for any BCSHFM- related business purpose. This information cannot be personally identified with a specific individual.
Our Privacy Practices
The BCSHFM does not automatically gather your personal information. You may anonymously access our website. Personal information is only obtained if you supply it voluntarily when using our website, i.e. contacting us via e-mail, purchasing merchandise or tickets, subscribing to our e-newsletter or registering for programs. It will be obvious when the BCSHFM is collecting your personal information as you will voluntarily have to fill out a form.
The BCSHFM uses personal information in a limited number of ways, primarily to complete transactions and to deliver an identified service or product and to respond to questions or comments. The BCSHFM will not sell or rent your personal information. We may share your information in the following situations:
• To those suppliers or companies hired to deliver the BCSHFM’s products or services, for example a shipping company that delivers a package.
• In some instances, for example online registration for programs, visitors may be asked to submit credit card information for payment. Credit card transactions are managed by payment processing companies with whom the BCSHFM has partnered. The BCSHFM will not authorize these companies to use the information except for the express purpose for which it was provided.
In certain circumstances, the BCSHFM may use your contact information to inform you of upcoming events or programs. If you do not wish to have your information used for these or other identified purposes, tell us and we will respect your wishes.
Children are encouraged to use the BCSHFM’s website with the approval of a parent or guardian. Where appropriate, the BCSHFM will specifically instruct children not to submit personal information on our website.
Information collected by technology
The nature of the Internet requires specific information to be exchanged between a Web visitor/user and the BCSHFM’s website. The information collected does not identify you personally and includes:
• Your IP (Internet protocol) address, a number automatically assigned to your computer when you visit the website.
• Your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
• Your type of operating system (Windows, Macintosh etc).
• Your Web browser (Netscape, Internet Explorer etc.).
This information is used by the BCSHFM as an administrative tool for identifying system problems and monitoring network traffic. The BCSHFM does not attempt to link this information with the identity of the individual visiting our website, except when necessary to protect our service, site, visitors, or others.